Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Why do people believe in God?

I found an interesting article on this topic. I don't know this guy's background, but his questions and assertions made me stop and think. I can see that I've fallen into at least a few of the traps he identified.

Some examples of his assertions:
  • there's something we can't explain, so God must have done it.
  • the world seems to complex and beautiful to have come into existence by chance
  • you're afraid of death and want to believe that death is not the end
This list goes on and some of the items are quite intriguing. You can see the whole article here. If you're so inclined, the comments at the bottom of the article attempt to counter his arguments in favor of faith, although I don't subscribe to any of the ones I read.

No comments: